As you may know, I am really working on losing a few extra pounds – ok – A LOT of extra pounds.
I have been seeking recipes using Asian inspired spices, which have incredible health benefits.
While searching these out, I discovered a fellow blogger’s recipe for “Sazon Goya” (thank you from the SkinnyTaste.com).
It is a type of seasoning salt found in Mexican markets.
I decided to play with it a bit and use turmeric for some Asian inspiration.
You are going to love this chicken recipe, which includes healthy ingredients, but maintains a simplistic approach for a quick weeknight meal.
I promise this Asian-Mexican fusion chicken recipe will not disappoint.
Step One in My Asian-Mexican Fusion Chicken
Avocado is one of the best sources of monounsaturated fat and is considered a nutrient-rich fruit.
Make this Avocado Ranch Sauce in advance, so it can be chilling in the refrigerator, as it will be a condiment for the chicken recipe.
Make it several hours in advance, or, several days.
It should last in the refrigerator for 5-7 days, stored in an airtight jar.
Avocado Ranch Sauce
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T lime juice
- 1/2 t table salt
- 1/2 t black pepper
- 1/2 t dried parsley
- 1 T White Vinegar
- 1 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Place all ingredients into a blender. Blend thoroughly. You make add a little extra buttermilk to adjust thickness.
Recipe for Asian-Mexican Fusion Chicken Tacos
Asian Mexican Fusion Tacos
- 6 Boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 10 oz. Rotel - Dice Tomatoes & Green Chilies Variety
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded raw green cabbage
- Asian Rub
- Avocado Ranch Sauce
- Warmed Tortillas
- Prepare Avocado Ranch Sauce and chill.
- Mix Asian Rub as indicated in blog post
- Add Rotel to empty, large, oval slow-cooker
- Add diced onion to slow cooker and mix with Rotel
- Add 1/2 cup of low sodium chicken broth to slow cooker.
- Trim excess skin off chicken thighs
- One at a time, place chicken thighs, skin side down in rub and press, to adhere rub to side of chicken. Then place each thigh, in a single layer in slow cooker, on top of Rotel mixture.
- Sprinkle any leftover rub, around the chicken, in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for one hour.
- After one hour, confirm rub has dissolved in liquid. If not, gently stir until all rub is submerged. Continue to cook on LOW for 5 hours.
- After 5 hours, remove thighs from crock pot. Using two forks, or Bear Claws, shred chicken. Also, drain Rotel mixture in a colander, removing the majority of liquid. After liquid has drained off, place back in slow cooker, with shredded chicken and mix. [mv_img id="6065"]
- Microwave flour tortillas in damp paper towel layers for 45 seconds.
- Assemble tortillas; Avocado ranch dressing, chicken mixture, cabbage, queso dip. Enjoy. [mv_img id="6060"]