Beef Taco Casserole Portioned for Two
Made with items you should have in your pantry already, It goes great with a margarita….see my classic margarita recipe by clicking HERE
When cooking for two, try to find recipes that only use half-pound portions.
Divide your one pound packages.
This recipe is ideal for using half of that pound.
Recipe for Beef Taco Casserole for TWO
Beef Taco Casserole
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup traditional refried beans
- 10 oz. can Rotel – reserve ¼ cup juice
- 1 ½ Tablespoons cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon hot sauce
- 4 ounces Colby Jack cheese shredded
- ½ onion chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 8 oz. Of 90% lean ground beef
- ½ teaspoon cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- Tortilla chips
- Adjust oven rack to middle position in your oven and heat to 475º.
- In a small bowl, mix the refried beans, one-half of the drained Ro-tel, 1 1/2 Tablespoons cilantro, and hot sauce together.
- Pour mixture into an 8 1/2" by 5 1/2" baking dish, smoothing out to cover the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup cheese over the bean mixture.
- Heat oil in 10-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add onion and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and saute until onion is softened and just about to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and coriander and cook till fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the beef and cook, breaking up the meat to expose all the surface. Cook till no longer pink., 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in remaining Ro-tel, reserved tomato juice, vinegar, and brown sugar.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until mixture has thickened and nearly dry.
My mixture never evaporated away the liquid, so I just drained it before proceeding.
- Spread the beef mixture in a baking dish.
- Layer the remaining refried beans on top of the beef.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of cheese, or however much you desire.
You can scatter tortilla chips over the top, but we prefer to each our like a dip, so I did not add the chips.
- Bake approximately 8 - 10 minutes, until filling is bubbling and the top is spotty brown.
- Make sure to let casserole sit and cool for 10 minutes, which will allow it to thicken.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Recipe courtesy of America’s Test Kitchen