This post contains affiliate links, which I earn a small commission from each sale.
Labor Day typically marks the end of the summer hiatus for families across the United States. Some schedule family cookouts or picnics as a celebratory send off to summer.
Ribs, kebabs, barbecue chicken, baked beans and ice cream are just a few culinary concoctions prepared over the long weekend. In this post, I include some of my favorite recipes and tips for cooking outdoors.
These simple grilled steak kebabs are easy and can be prep ahead of times, transported to a park and cooked on a grill.
Everyone has their own version of 7-Layer Dip. However, my version will satisfy everyone at the picnic. No hot peppers, no ingredients needing refrigeration. This version can be prepared the day before, covered and transported to you favorite Labor Day bash.
- 12 oz. chopped, cooked "Southwestern" flavor chicken
- 16 oz. can of Traditional Refried Beans
- 8 oz. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado mashed
- 3-4 Roma tomatoes diced
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- Take an oven safe platter and spread the can of refried beans, as if you were icing a cake. This is layer one of the dip.
- Evenly scatter your chopped chicken over the bean layer. This is layer two.
- Dollop your mashed avocado onto the chicken, making the third layer.
- Scatter both cheese as the next layer.
- Place platter on a baking sheet, just for easy transition to the oven.
- Preheat oven to 300º
- Cook for about 10 minutes, just enough for the cheese to melt.
- Remove from the oven.
- Allow to sit for approximately 8 minutes.
- Scatter tomatoes, lettuce and scallions on top.
Heating this dip in the oven is NOT necessary. I usually only do it when we are having it as a meal. If serving as a dip, just eliminate steps 5 - 9.
Serve with tortilla or pita chips.
Cook-Out Foods at Home
What if you hosting a cook-out at your home? Make sure to check out my tips for hosting a dinner party.
See my post on picking out the best cuts of meat for a steak and tips on preparing here: Top 5 Criteria For The Most Tender Steak
Off course, steak can be a bit expensive; however, Omaha Steaks has a promotion right now and you can buy high quality steaks for a fraction of normal price AND get free delivery through my “special link!”
Look at these incredible deals:
Can’t decide which steak cut you want?
Check out this special deal!
If you are on a KETO diet, or if you having kids over at the cook-out – this is a valuable option:
Omaha Steaks has provided me, as an affiliate with a special offer: FREE Standard Shipping on Orders of $79 or More. Valid 7/17/2019 – 9/30/2019.
Use this link at ordering: FREE STANDARD SHIPPING ON ORDERS OF $79 OR MORE!
Off course, you need a beverage to wash all this good food down with, so check out my best summertime cocktails here.
What are you planning to cook this upcoming Labor Day weekend? Let me know by commenting.