Full of flavor and very easy to prepare, this lemon and herb cod filet with crispy garlic potatoes is delicious and a perfect meal for two on a busy weeknight.
Honestly, I had never had fish with a potato dish before.
I thought it just was not a logical combination, however, after preparing this dish, I now realize what I have been missing.
This perfect dinner is also very easy to clean up.
Just line your baking sheet with aluminum foil and you can just toss it when done.
I highly recommend trying this recipe.
If you like halibut or haddock better, they would make good substitutes for the cod.
Just make sure the fillets are similar in size so they cook at the same rate.
Try to get fillets about 1-inch in thickness.
Buy your own mandolin HERE:
18 Types Adjustable Mandoline Slicer Stainless Steel Manual Cutter Vegetable Grater Julienne Slicer Fruit Waffle Kitchen Potato Cutter White
READ MORE ABOUT THE BENEFITS OF EATING FISH BY CLICKING HERE
Cod and Potatoes with Whiskey Tarter Sauce
Cod and Potatoes for Two
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium-sized russet potatoes sliced 1/4" thick
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- salt and pepper
- 6 ounce skinless cod fillets (2) 1 to 1 1/2-inches thick
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 springs of fresh thyme
- 1/2 lemon sliced thin
- Make sure oven rack is set to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 425º.
- Prepare a 13 by 9-inch baking sheet with non-stick aluminum foil.
- After slicing potatoes, toss them with 1 - 2 tablespoons of your favorite olive oil and the minced garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper. I just used my hands to mix this up.
- Shingle potatoes onto the baking sheet.
- Roast potatoes until edges are brown and just tender, 30-35 minutes, rotating dish halfway through roasting.
- When potatoes are almost done, prepare fish.
- Pat fish dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- Once edges are brown on potatoes, remove from oven and carefully place one fillet, skinned side down on top of each potato pile.
- Top fish with butter pieces, thyme sprigs, and lemon slices.
- Roast fish and potatoes until fish flakes apart when gently prodded with a paring knife and registers 140º, about 15-20 minutes.
- To serve, slide a spatula underneath potatoes and fillets, gently transferring to individual plates.
- I removed the thyme sprigs and lemon slices to serve.
- I sliced the remaining half of the lemon to serve at the table.
Whiskey Tarter Sauce
- 1/2 cup of your favorite mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of sweet pickle relish
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped lemongrass
- 2 green onions chopped, whole thing
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Jack Daniels Whiskey
- splash of lemon juice
- pinch of salt & pepper
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Ideally, chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.
- This can be kept in the refrigerator, in an air-tight container for about a week.
Save Save Save Save Save Save Save Save
Love Love Love potatoes! I usually prepare a healthy sour cream made of unsweetened natural yogurt (instead of the fatty cream), parcley, onions and sea salt. Too good not to try! Potatoes van be cooked in salt water or baked in oven. Yessss.
I’m trying a few of these! Thanks.