Three Meals for Two People
Meal Two: Indonesian Chicken & RiceThis is a simple dinner but is very filling. The original recipe from America’s Test Kitchen calls for Thai chilies. I do not like hot, spicy foods, so I used banana peppers instead (still removing the seeds). I prepped my white rice ahead of time and just slowly allowed it cool on the stove top.
Make sure to read till the end. I have a kool trick for extending the life of your garlic bulbs.
Cook your rice according to package directions to yield 3 cups (1.5 cups per serving)
Indonesian Rice For Two Recipe
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 2 shallots, peeled
- 2 banana peppers, de-seeded
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 Tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon molasses
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce
- Kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 ounces cooked chicken, diced
- 3 cups cooked rice, cooled or chilled
- 1 scallion, sliced thin
- juice from 1 fresh lime
- Pulse shallots, peppers, garlic in a food processor until it forms a coarse paste - about 20-25 pulses, scrap down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Transfer mixture to a small bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, stir together sugar, molasses, soy sauce, fish sauce and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Set aside.
- In a 3rd bowl, whisk the eggs and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
At the stove:
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons of vegetable oil in a 12" non-stick skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Add eggs and gently tilt skillet to evenly coat the bottom. It will look very thin. Cover and cook until bottom of omelet is barely brown and top is just about set - about 1-2 minutes.
- Slide omelette onto a cutting board and gently roll up into a tight log. Using a very sharp knife, cut the omelet tube, crosswise into 1 inch segments, leaving segments rolled up.
- Heat remaining 1 1/2 Tablespoons of oil in now empty skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Add pepper mixture and cook until mixture has been heated all the way through - 3-5 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high, add chicken and cook till warm through, stirring constantly, till everything is thoroughly combined.
- Push the chicken to the edges of the pan, to make a clear, open center well. Just recombine the molasses mixture, then pour in the center of the skillet.
- When molasses starts bubbling, add the rice and cook, stirring and folding constantly; until everything is heated through and mixture is thoroughly coated.
- Off heat, garnish portions with scallions. Drizzle with lime juice. Serve immediately. Best when it is still hot.
Please follow and like us: