Three Meals for Two People
Meal One: Beef Taco CasseroleThis meal is designed for a weeknight of maybe chilling out and having a cocktail. It goes great with a margarita….see my classic margarita recipe by clicking HERE
Recipe for Beef Taco Casserole for TWO
Beef Taco Casserole
Just a note: I never by pre-shredded cheeses. They are loaded with the "anti-caking" chemicals and some have nitrates (a KNOWN carcinogen). Instead, I buy the whole blocks of REAL cheese and grate it up myself.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Additional Time 10 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 3 servings
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup traditional refried beans
- 1 10- oz. can Rotel – reserve ¼ cup juice
- 1 ½ Tablespoons cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon hot sauce
- 4 ounces Colby Jack cheese shredded
- ½ onion chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 8 oz. Of 90% lean ground beef
- ½ teaspoon cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- Tortilla chips
- Adjust oven rack to middle most position in your oven and heat to 475º.
- In a small bowl, mix the refried beans, one-half of the drained Ro-tel, 1 1/2 Tablespoons cilantro, and hot sauce together.
- Pour mixture into a 8 1/2" by 5 1/2" baking dish, smoothing out to cover the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup cheese over the bean mixture.
- Heat oil in 10-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add onion and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and saute until onion is softened and just about to brown - about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and coriander and cook till fragrant - about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the beef and cook, breaking up the meat to expose all the surface. Cook till no longer pink. - 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in remaining Ro-tel, reserved tomato juice, vinegar and brown sugar.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until mixture has thickened and nearly dry.
My mixture never evaporated away the liquid, so I just drained it before proceeding.
- Spread the beef mixture in a baking dish.
- Layer the remaining refried beans on top of the beef.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of cheese – or however much you desire.
You can scatter tortilla chips over the top, but we prefer to each our like a dip, so I did not add the chips.
- Bake until filling is bubbling and top is spotty brown - 8-10 minutes.
- Make sure to let casserole sit and cool for 10 minutes, which will allow it to thicken.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Chop up some lettuce to sprinkle on top of the casserole to provide a little more depth to the dish. Although this recipe is geared for two people, we had enough for three portions...