Cubed steak was a staple in our house, growing up in Georgia. It is a cheap cut of beef, which is usually very tough. Pan frying it, allows drippings to form the base of the good ‘ole white gravy, we southerners like to put on anything.
Patience is important, as well as very hot pan, when making homemade gravy. Use good quality milk, as it is the main ingredient in this smothering sauce.
As my first entire meal plan post; this will take you step-by-step through the PREP and COOKING stages of this meal. Hope you enjoy it.
1. PREP POTATOES
- Peel russet or Yukon Gold potatoes. Cut into 1/2″ or bite size chunks. Wash thoroughly.
- Place in a sauce pan. Fill with water, just enough to cover the potatoes. Place lid on pan.
- Set to medium-high heat.
2. PREP LEEKS
Cut leeks where light green part, meets the dark green part – discard the green stalks.
Cut lengthwise down the remaining green bulb, making several strips, approximately 1/4″ apart.
Then slice the leeks. Place slices in a colander and thoroughly rinse – allow to drain.
I cut up one LARGE leek per 2 lbs of potatoes
3. PREP MILK FOR POTATOES
- Mince 2-3 cloves of garlic, depending on your preference
- Pour 3/4 cup of milk in a saucepan. Place on stove, but do not apply heat yet.
4. PREP BROCCOLI
- I only steam FRESH broccoli. Thoroughly wash broccoli crown and slightly dry with a paper towel.
- Cut each floret from the crown. Place in top of steamer.
- Fill bottom of steamer half full of cold water.
This is the best small steamer I have every found.
It is only 3 quarts and is perfect for 2-4 servings of a fresh vegetable.
Click the link to purchase one for yourself.
Farberware Classic Stainless Steel 3-Quart Covered Stack ‘n’ Steam Saucepot and Steamer
5. COOK THE LEEKS
In a small, non-stick skillet add 2 teaspoons of butter; heat to medium.
Once butter is melted and is foaming, add your chopped leeks, add 1 teaspoon of salt.
Saute the leeks, stirring occasionally until they are tender. Do NOT let the leeks get brown, nor burn.
This should take about 8-10 minutes.
Once cooked, set aside.
6. PREP THE CUBED STEAK
- Place a large, cast iron skillet on the oven, set to medium-high heat and add 1 heaping Tablespoon of Crisco to the pan.
- Allow the shortening to melt while dredging the cubed steak.
- Place 1 cup of all-purpose flour in a cereal bowl or dredging dish.
- Place 1 beaten egg (one egg per 2 steaks) in a separate cereal bowl or dredging dish.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of sweet paprika to the flour and 1 teaspoon of black pepper, mix gently.
- Once Crisco has melted…
- Take each steak, one at a time, dipping into the egg, coating both sides of the steak.
- Then lay the steak into the flour mixture. Turn steak over to coat both sides.
- Lightly shake off extra flour and immediately place into HOT skillet.
Lodge L8SK3 Cast Iron Skillet, Pre-Seasoned, 10.25-inch
Cook each cubed steak for approximately 4-5 minutes per side, or until brown and a crust has formed.
7. TURN THE MILK ON FOR THE POTATOES
Stir in the minced garlic, turn heat to medium-low, so not to scorch the milk.
8. FINISH THE POTATOES
- Drain the potatoes into a colander.
- Add the leeks to the now empty, hot pot.
- Add 3 Tablespoons of butter to the hot pot.
- After the potatoes have drained most of their water, return them to the warm pot, with the leeks and butter.
- Gently mash the potatoes with a hand masher.
- Gradually add milk, that should be heated through, a little as a time, while incorporating with a spoon.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Allow to sit on the stove.
9. FINISH STEAK AND COOK GRAVY
- Remove steaks from pan and place on a paper towel lined plate. Sit near the stove.
- Leave cast iron skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add 1/4 cup of all purpose flour to the cubed steak grease left in the pan.
- Mix flour and grease. Once all flour has been incorporated and no white remains, add 2 cups of milk to the skillet.
- Using a whisk or spoon; gently incorporate the flour into the milk. If using a spoon, you can mash the flour into the milk.
- Cook until desired consistency.
- Gravy can be served over the cubed steak and mashed potatoes if desired.
Please follow and like us: